SECTION – A
1. Write the difference between chasmogamous and cleistogamous flowers. 1
2. Define Ovulation. 1
3. Which disease is caused by point mutation ? 1
4. Write any two uses of pedigree study in human genetics. 1
5. Which scientist by experimentation demonstrated that “Life comes only from pre-existing life” ? 1
6. Write the name of any one disease in crops caused by fungi. 1
7. What do you mean by fermentors ? 1
8. For biological control which fungus is used in the treatment of plant diseases ? 1
9. Write the name of the technique, by which DNA fragments can be separated. 1
10. Define Genetically Modified Organism. 1
11. How can infection caused by pathogens be detected ? 1
12. Why should lead free petrol or diesel be used in automobiles ? 1
13. Irrigation without proper drainage of water is harmful for the growth of crops. Why ? 1
SECTION – B
14. If corpus luteum becomes inactive, what will be its effect on embryo development ? Explain with reason. 2
15. A woman does not want any more pregnancy. Which permanent method will she prefer and why ? ½ + 1½ = 2
16. Write any four salient features of the Double helix structure of DNA. 4 × ½ = 2
17. The process of evolution of different species in a geographical area starts from a point and literally radiates to other geographical areas. Explain it with example. 2
18. In north India which technique is applied for high yield and desirable qualities such as thick stem and high sugar content in sugarcane ? Explain. 2
19. The nodules on the roots of leguminous plant are destroyed. How will it affect the plant ? Explain with reason. 1 + 1 = 2
20. Which technique is used for the correction of diagnosed gene defects in a child/embryo ? Explain with example. 2
21. How bacteria, fungi and lower plants survive in unfavourable conditions ? Explain. 1 + 1 = 2
22. The egrets always forage close to where the cattle are grazing. What is this interaction ? Explain. ½ + 1½ = 2
23. “The accelerated rate of species extinction is due to human activities.” Explain the statement with reasons. 2
24. Write any four differences between external fertilization and internal fertilization. 4 × ½ = 2
Write any two differences between sexual and asexual reproduction. “Vegetative reproduction is asexual reproduction.” — Explain. 1 + 1 = 2
SECTION – C
25. What is endosperm ? Describe free nuclear endosperm and cellular endosperm. 1 + 1 + 1 = 3
26. What do you mean by co-dominance ? Explain it with example of blood groups in human beings. 1 + 2 = 3
27. What is genetic engineering ? Explain the formation of recombinant D.N.A technique. 1 + 2 = 3
Write the steps in specific sequence of recombinant DNA technology. Describe the method of isolation of the genetic material (DNA). 1 + 2 = 3
SECTION – D
28. What is nucleosome ? Explain the packaging of DNA helix. Draw the labelled diagram of nucleosome. 1 + 2 + 1 = 4
What is transcription ? Explain the process of transcription in bacteria by labelled diagram. 1 + 2 + 1 = 4
29. What is decomposition ? Explain decomposition cycle in a terrestrial ecosystem. Draw its diagrammatic representation. 1 + 2 + 1 = 4
(i) What is nutrient cycle ?
(ii) Explain the carbon cycle on earth with the help of linear diagram. 1 + 2 + 1 = 4
30. (i) What is immunity ?
(ii) Write the difference between active immunity and passive immunity.
(iii) Explain passive immunisation.
(iv) Draw the labelled diagram of the stages of life cycle of plasmodium in mosquito host. 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 4
(i) Write the causes of cancer disease.
(ii) Explain cancer detection.
(iii) Give diagrammatic representation of lymph nodes. 1 + 2 + 1 = 4